October 19, 2012
Communications and Marketing
Eight of the college's most dedicated and accomplished alumni and friends received awards from the Saint Anselm Alumni Association on October 12 at Davison Hall.
Kevin Fitzgerald, a member of the class of 2000 and president of the Alumni Association, introduced each of the recipients, who were then presented with their awards by the President Father Jonathan DeFelice, O.S.B.
In accepting their awards, the alumni recipients expressed gratitude for the preparation they received at Saint Anselm. Dr. Mark Edney '94 said, "My four years at Saint Anselm were foundational in my evolution as a man, husband, father, surgeon, and advocate," and credited biology professor Bob Vallari as an inspiration and valued mentor.
Alumni Award Recipients
- Academic Achievement Award: Claire Burke Draucker, Ph.D., RN, FAAN '77, distinguished professor at Kent State University College of Nursing.
- Alumni Award of Merit: Donna J. Perry, Ph.D., RN '82, nurse scientist at Massachusetts General Hospital and co-director of the Thomas S. Durant Fellowship for Refugee Medicine.
- Catholic Leadership Award: Reverend William F. Waters, O.S.A. '65, chaplain of the class of 1965, pastor, and member of the Presbyteral Council of the Archdiocese of Boston.
- Health Service Award: Mark T. Edney, M.D. '94, U.S. Army Reserves, urologist and medical director at the Peninsula Institute for Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery.
- Humanitarian Award: Captain Mary Jo O'Dwyer Majors, NC, USNR (RET) '69, educator, administrator, and mentor.
- Parents Award: Charles and Joan Even P'81, P'83, P'86, P'88, P'90, parents of five successful Saint Anselm College alumni.
- Young Alumni Service Award: Michael G. Nicholson '07, theology teacher, campus minister at Saint John's High School.
- Walter J. Gallo '58 Award: Lorie W. Cochran P '06, administrative assistant at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics and volunteer at alumni events.
For more than 11 years, the Alumni Association has recognized alumni, staff, parents, and friends for their outstanding achievements and contributions to the college.