Top ten reasons we think you should seriously consider joining us:
1. You will graduate having read, discussed many of the greatest works of literature in the English language, and having written a comprehensive thesis about one of your favorites.
2. Critical skills
We will do everything we can to make sure that you learn to think, write and speak with clarity, as well as interpret difficult texts that yield layers of meaning, skills that are essential to any professional field in which you can imagine yourself working.
3. English majors are the hot new hires
As many recent articles demonstrate, business leaders from a range of professions are recognizing more than ever the value in the practical communication skills as well as the comprehensive and empathetic knowledge that English majors bring to their organizations. Read the article »
4. Live better
In the classrooms and offices of the teachers here you will deepen your apprehension of and appreciation for the beautiful, the sublime, the comic, and the tragic. Our graduates regularly remind us how these experiences expanded their understanding of humanity and left them with lives permanently enriched.
Whenever someone asks you if you've read any good books lately, you can always answer "yes!"
6. Isn't it ironic?
When a pop singer like Alanis Morrisette sings "Isn't it ironic?" you will know why it is not.
7. The world is filled with dangled prepositions, misplaced modifiers, and split infinitives, and you will be able to help. (We love grammarians)
8. Teachers = mentors, cheerleaders, life-long friends
It may be hard to imagine now, but trust us, 10, 20 or 30 years from now you will still correspond with one of your Saint Anselm English teachers about something interesting you read, a decision you need to make, or a particular triumph or heartache in your life. Read about a recent alumna visit »
9. Majoring in English worked out pretty well for:
- Steven Spielberg
- Harrison Ford
- Emma Thompson
- Matt Damon
- Joan Rivers
- Conan O'Brien
- Don Henley
- Chris Isaak
- Diane Sawyer
- Toni Morrison
- Bob Woodward
- Michael Eisner
- Steven King
- It likely will for you too
10. It's true. The English Department really does have the nicest and best-dressed faculty on the Saint Anselm campus.